Friday, December 21, 2007

Back in Firenze!

Ciao!!! since I lost wrote, WOW! life has taken me all over the place in Roma. Here are the highlights, the lowlights, and surprises in between:

1. Went to the As Roma vs. Manchester United game. There is an extremely heated rivalry between the two teams and my friends and I decided to risk our lives and go. It was definitely a little scary because AS Roma fans hate Manchester fans and associate anyone speaking English at the stadium as Man U supporters. However, I came decked in AS Roma scarf, jersey, and banner which protected me from being hurt. Overall, the game was lots of fun! At first we were alittle nervous because Man U scored the first goal, but in the second half AS Roma came back and scored a goal! When they scored the AS Roma fanatics lit a red flare in the crowd, it was crazy!! definitely a memoriable experience and I am so glad that I went.

2. I saw the Pope!!! My friend invited me to a special mass for Roman University students at St. Peter. It was a fascinating cultural experience and I leanered alot though my attendance. At the end of the mass the Pope came out and gave a speech. It was in Italian, but I believe it was something to the effect about the importance of education. The crowd went crazy for the Pope. People were standing on chairs trying to see him *including myself, when in Rome..* and taking pictures. I was shocked to this massive swarm, it was like three thousand paparrazzi calling for his attention at once.

3. I went to the Sistine Chapel with my class. It was amazing and stunning as everyone says. A particular highlight for me was I had to give a presentation about the conservation and restoration techniques of the ceiling and I gave it while in the Chapel!!!

4. I have officially finished my study abroad program. I do not know how, but I studied for finals, packed, and picked up my sister at Termini all in one week. It was hectic and I am still in denial that it is actually over. In fact, I still can not believe that my sister is in Italia with me! We are currently in Firenze for the weekend and then heading back to Rome for the holidays. I will write more about the experience as whole, but right now my sister is insisting that we find a cute apertivo place for tonight!

1 comment:

Seeker said...

On my Italian trip I went to Firenzi. Oh dear, I love it, I wish I could come back one day

National Capital Language Resource Center