Sunday, November 4, 2007

Under the Tuscan "Sun"




When I planned a weekend to Siena, I was immediately reminded of the movie "Under The Tuscan Sun." I envisioned waking up in a beautifully house overlooking a the hills of Tuscany. I was as close as you can get to that dream.

Siena is a little over a four hour drive from Roma. Our plan was not to drive straight to Sienna, but we spent the first afternoon in a winery run by women. This was my first time in a winery and it couldn't be better that it was in Italy. We learned about the process of wine making and how to taste wines. I learned how to tell a young wine from an old wine. Younger wines are lighter in color and when you swirl them they don't run down the glass slowly. We also learned how to smell a wine properly. One of my favorite wines we tried a wine called Chinderlla (I highly recommend if you can find it.) This was definitely not a bad way to start off a trip!

That evening we arrived in Siena and had dinner in our hotel. The next day we went on a walking tour of Siena. I was looking forward to seeing the sights, except it was freeeeeezing out. There was an odd cold front in Italy and it was miserable walking around. However, we pushed through it and saw the Palazzo Publico and Siena Cathedral. The facade of the Cathedral my Giovanni Pisano was beautiful in the Gothic sense. Gothic art is not my favorite, but it definitely was a highlight of Siena.

After the morning tour, we literally ran to the closest restaurant to get soup. I had Tuscan soup which was delicious and exactly what I needed. Later that day we had part two of our walking tour which it was honestly too cold to remember or comprehend anything the tour guide was saying.

Later that evening after dinner there was a concert in the Palazzo Publico for soldiers who were returning from Iraq. There were Italian University student bands playing songs. It was so much fun to hear Italian music mixed in with an occasional Beatles song!

Over all, Tuscany is the perfect get away from city life. I would love to spend a summer in the Tuscan hills roaming around on a bicycle. However, I thought Siena was beautiful, but lacked personality.

No comments:

National Capital Language Resource Center