Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gelato is my obsession



It is hard to imagine my world without gelato. Whenever I am walking down the street and see a gelateria, I find myself compelled to get a cup and try new flavors. There are a few things to look out for in deciding whether the place has good gelato. The first is the banana trick. If the banana gelato is yellow, politely walk away. Authentic banana gelato is white. Also usually bars that have only five to ten flavors from my experience do not serve the best gelato. They have it merely as a snack than a gourmet experience.

I keep looking out for new and unique flavors for Christine's project. Today, I might have been to the largest and delicious gelateria since I have been here. It is called Della Palma and it is about two blocks from the Pantheon. I believe there were at least sixty flavors. There were so many flavors that I started to feel anxious over the choice, but the good news is you can't really choose a bad flavor.

I had the mel verde, cioccolato peperoncino, and pesca. I would recommend them all. Other flavors I saw that looked good were Mozart (chocolate and almond), Watermelon, "Kit-Kat", Meringotto, Ricotta in salsa di fichi, passion fruit....the list is endless!!

I took some pictures and will post them so you can see the deliciousness yourself! I saw on the cup there was a location in New York! Does anyone know where? If you live nearby I highly recommend you go!

1 comment:

Oliver said...

Ah, this is bringing back the days when I was in Florence--only we went to the same gelato place everyday because Lauren was convinced a guy who worked there was Ricky Martin's twin.

National Capital Language Resource Center