Tuesday, November 6, 2007

You Had Me At Bonjour…





I love Paris. There is something so enchanting and elegant about this city that always draws me back. I am glad I got the opportunity to go with my friends who have never been before. I warned them they were going to fall in love with the city and I was right.

However, if I am going to recount my trip accurately I should add in that we almost did not make it to Paris. Right before our adventure was about to begin it started to rain the hardest I have ever seen in Roma. My friend, Will, almost slipped twice in the first five minutes on our walk to bus station. We thought we left plenty of time to get to the airport, but when it rains the bus system becomes twice as slow. Suddenly, our time cushion dwindled to an hour before check in at the airport. So we put our Amazing Race game face on and planned how we could maximize our time. We picked seats on the bus that were closest to the exit and put our luggage at the front underneath so it would be easy to grab. As soon as the bus doors open, we darted off and grabbed the luggage. When we entered the airport there were about five people standing there staring at us. Will and I continued to be in Amazing Race and ran to the check-in line. We made it!

The first in Paris we spent the morning at the Louvre. I tried to warn my friends that the Mona Lisa was disappointing, but when you are in the Louvre you “have” to see it. I do not understand why there is so much attention to this one work of art by Leonardo Da Vinci. Personally, I prefer his works that are in the hallway outside the room of the Mona Lisa. It is just interesting to see how society can create such hype over one work of art. Anyway, after we went to see works by Delacroix and Caravaggio, two of my favorite artists. We also went to the Egyptian exhibit because my friend loves Egyptian art. My other friend wanted to see a painting by Vermeer. Everything was going along smoothly until we tried to find the Vermeer work. It took us about an hour walk around the Louvre to find it. I was expecting a large painting, but it was about two feet by two feet. My friends and I started snapping photos out of the sheer excitement that our quest to find this work of art was over. However, everyone in the room began to take interest at what we were looking at because of our excitement. Someone asked my friend what it was and she replied, “A Vermeer.” Immediately the man starts snapping photos. It was obvious that he had no idea who Vermeer was, but was just taking the photo because it was a famous work. After the Louvre we went to Angelina’s for the world renown hot chocolate that Abbe recommended to me. If you want to pamper yourself with a delicious treat, this is the place to go. The hot chocolate was a like a rich and delicious melted chocolate bar. It even comes with a bowl of fresh whip cream…who said calories count when you are on vacation?

Afterwards we headed to another tourist hot spot: Notre Dame. This cathedral is beautiful in the Gothic sense. Gothic art is not my favorite, but Notre Dame stain glass windows woo me every time. That evening we went to eat Indian Food. Now I know we are in Paris and you are probably wondering why I was not having a crepe, but there is a serious withdrawal of ethnic cuisine in my life. I love Italian food, but I needed some samosas and lamb vindaloo. It was heavenly and probably my favorite meal in Paris.

Day two we went to the Eiffel Tower. I love looking up at the Eiffel Tower when you are underneath it. I always forget how massive it really is. I really did not want to go to the top because of my fear of heights. I got to the top and my friends convinced me that it would be “fun” to climb down the stairs of the Eiffel Tower. There is video of me holding more like clinging onto the railing for dear life. After about a hundred steps I do not remember actually climbing down them. All I remember is telling myself to just keeping going and watch the feet in front of you. My knees and hands were shaking when we reached the bottom, but I made it! At least I can say that I did it! After this semi-traumatic experience, we decided to walk to L’Arc de Triumph and the Champs- Elysees. Great and dangerous shopping.

The next day we went our excursion out of Paris to Fontainebleau! This was the one place I really wanted to go outside of Roma. I took an Art History course last semester about the Chateaux of France and Fontainebleau was the climax of the semester. It was so surreal to be there. My favorite room was Francis the 1st Gallery. This was his private gallery that he only allowed special guests to enter. Every room was full of ornate and regal designs. I would recommend Fontainebleau as day trip because it is less than an hour by train outside of Paris and it easily accessible. The town of Fontainebleau is so quaint and adorable it is a great place to stroll and eat lunch!

After our day trip excursion, the weather was drab so we decided to go see a movie. Not by choice, we decided to see Rush Hour 3. I am so glad we saw this movie. My friends and I had no idea that it takes place in Paris! In one scene, a car chase went right by the movie theatre that we were watching it in. The only reason why I could not stop laughing was that I found it so ironic. All I can say is see Rush Hour 3 if you are an American and happen to be in Paris.
Overall, Paris was an amazing time. From the delicious nutella and banana crepes to éclairs, the food never lets you down. Watching the Eiffel Tower light show at night with my friends was definitely a highlight of my trip. While Paris will always hold a special place in my heart, I realized that Roma is the perfect place for me to study abroad.

2 comments:

Oliver said...

You made it! Glad you appreciated the indulgence of Angelina--your story makes me miss Paris all over again! Miss you! More exclamation points are needed!!

C. Meloni said...

I remember going to the top of the Tower with my husband a few years ago. I was terrified. When we got to the top, I was ready to get right back into the elevator to go back down but my husband wanted to see the view. The view *was* great but it is an experience I never want to repeat!! But walking down? Never ever!

National Capital Language Resource Center