Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Next Stop: Southern Italia!


This weekend I went to Napoli, The Amalfi Coast, and Pompei. Each part of this trip was unique and beautiful in its own way. From the city to cliffs to an ancient town, I found myself in awe of the magnificent and breathtaking views. It was as if I was living in a postcard.

It is impossible to approach Napoli without preconceptions. It is known for its anarchic, polluted, dangerous, yet fun atmosphere with many of its majestic historical buildings dirty and crumbling. Visitors are warned repeatedly of gypsies and pick-pocketers whose favorite haunts are the train stations, tourist sights, and shopping areas. In addition, something I did not know before, Napoli is known for short-changing and moped bandits. With all this negative views about Napoli, I was not really looking forward to spending the day there. These preconceptions give the city a distinct edge and vibrancy that can only feel when you are there.

Napoli is the third largest city in Italy. In some way it is similar to Roma with its chaotic traffic, winding streets that lead to quaint shops and restaurants. However, Napoli is definitely more grimy and darker than Roma. One distinct difference between the two cities is the pizza. In Napoli the crust is a lot thicker, I was having trouble eating it because I thought it was too doughy. This could be because I am accustomed to thin crust, but never the less it was still delicious. Napoli does have a few historical buildings one can visit like the Monastero Santa Chiara, Piazza del Plebisctio, but none of them impressed me as much as my visit to Pompei.

After our day in Napoli, we spent the day on the Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi Coast is an Italian jewel. We drove through small picturesque villages and towns on rocky cliffs by the Mediterranean Sea. I have no idea how our bus survived on some of these windy turns. Sometimes I was afraid to look down because it was straight drop to the sea. However, it was truly incredible sight and I would highly recommend it in the warmer weather. It is still gorgeous this time of year, however, the town of Sorrento and Positano where empty and it definitely felt like it was off season. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the boat trip to emerald grotto because of the weather. Instead, I went to Amalfi to a paper making factory. At first, I was disheartened that we were not going to see the grotto, but the factory was lots of fun. The tour guide showed us how to make paper and then I got to try it!

The last day we went to Pompei. Ever since Latin class in eight grade I have wanted to go to Pompei. In the last chapter of my first Latin text book Mt. Vesuvius erupts and the characters that I came to love perished. Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD covering the town of Pompei with 27 feet of ash. The ruins provide a fascinating insight into the lives of Romans. I could not believe the bodies preserved so perfectly that I could see their last expression. One of my favorite ruins I visited was the amphitheater. My tour guide Vincenzo said that the Romans invented the wireless microphone. At first, I was thought he was kidding. However, the stage of the amphitheater is covered with marble and underneath are large jugs. If a person on the stage talks down toward the marble it makes there voice louder. I thought that was unbelievable invention for their time!

As the semester is winding down, I find myself more and more enchanted by the beautiful and unique places of Italy!

No comments:

National Capital Language Resource Center