Friday, November 30, 2007

Where are all the rain boots?



November is supposedly the rainiest month in Italy. Before I came to Roma, I decided that I should invest in proper rain attire to battle this unpleasant weather. I am not a fan of umbrellas, especially coming from a city where you spend more time protecting yourself from getting poked than actually staying dry. Why can’t ponchos be the norm and not considered tacky? Perhaps one day this will be become a trend. Until then, I surrendered and purchased a bright pink travel size umbrella. I also got a little “rain fever” at the store and bought a raincoat that can be compressed into a cosmetic size bag as well as pair of black and white butterfly rain boots.

Words cannot express how grateful I am for my rain gear. Time and time again, I have been saved from the dreaded rain and been able to enjoy myself while traveling. Unlike most of my friends who have been scrambling to find rain boots. Which leads me to my question: Why do Italians not wear rain boots?

Not only do Italians not wear rain boots, but also they are hard to find in stores. I cannot figure out why something so practical would not be available here. My only thought is because for the most part rain boots are not stylish. But why not make them stylish? Italy is the jewel of fashion world. Why not create a pair that is sleek, elegant, and practical? Until this mystery is resolved, I will continue to stay dry and accept the stares and glances that I get from Italian women than force myself to be cold and wet for fashion.

No comments:

National Capital Language Resource Center