Saturday, September 22, 2007

Italian in Context

My Italian class is completely different than what I expected before coming to Roma. Fortunately it is for the better. I studied French for eight years and Latin for five before college and am use to a different teaching technique. In High School when I took French I wanted to learn how to speak to French people and in context to their culture. Instead, my program was heavily weighted on grammar and little culture. I became bored with it and started dreading my textbook homework assignments. I felt studying French was a chore rather than an opportunity to explore an entirely different culture and language. Looking back I realize it was the assignments that were most connected to culture that I learned the most from. For example, when we were learning about baked goods, we went to a patisserie and were only allowed to order something in French. I remember my teaching helping me with the pronunciation of je voudrais in context.

Here in Italy, my instructor teaches me words that I need for survival. Our first day of class we learned what to say to Italians who harass us on the bus. First you say Basta! (stop!) second Vai Via! (go away!) and then finally something more severe which I am sure you can guess. We also learned how to order a cappuccino/caffe and cornetto (croissant), the typical Italian breakfast. We focus on our oral and pronunciation of words and not as much on the grammar and spelling. While there is no denying grammar is a staple and important part of a language, I feel the manner in which it is presented to students can be overwhelming and boring. Perhaps, using it more in a cultural context like I have been exposed to in Italy (for example showing signs found in Rome with different participles) could teach students grammar, while teaching them practical information about the area.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot and I think it comes down to a question of what are the goals of the student and what are the goals of the teacher. I know as a student I was never asked what are my goals were in learning a language. I think this can cause a disconnect between students and teachers. One of the reasons why I like my Italian class so much is because my teacher understands my goal of the class. Everyday she provides me with tools and information that enhances my understanding of daily life in Roma.

Additionally, I have learned a lot about Italian culture in my language class. For example, we did a lesson on hand gestures and what they mean in Italian. We also read an article about AS Roma soccer and explained to us who famous players were on the team. I feel like I am not just learning how to speak Italian, but I am understanding the Italian way of life.

In the end for me it is learning through culture, rather than learning about culture that has made my Italian class and my study abroad experience successful so far.

No comments:

National Capital Language Resource Center